Jury Duty Hardship Letter
Sometimes people working in government organizations have to go for a jury duty as a temporary juror. Are you helping any of your friends to write a hardship letter to avoid jury duty? We will help you write jury duty hardship letter. Following are some useful tips for writing a jury duty hardship letter:
- Read the jury summons carefully. Never lie in your jury duty hardship letter.
- You should maintain a formal tone throughout the letter and write your address properly.
- You should open the first paragraph with expressing your apology for not being able to attend the jury duty.
- For writing this type of a hardship letter, you need to have a valid reason otherwise it would be hard on you. Mention the circumstances because of which you cannot attend the jury duty.
- You should look genuine; so you need to attach the documented proof for your reason to avoid jury duty.
- Jury duty hardship letter can be written by the employee himself or by the employer on behalf of the employee.
- You should apologize to the court for not attending the jury duty and request for other dates for jury duty if possible.
We will give you an example of a jury duty hardship letter. Let us assume that X is not able to attend the jury duty because he has to take his son to hospital for some tests and he is writing a jury duty hardship letter as follows:
25th January 2011
Dear Mr ABC,
I have received a summon from your office to attend a jury duty. I am honored by this privilege but I am very sorry to inform you that I am not able to attend the jury duty on the mentioned date. I request you to excuse me from jury duty for this time.
I am working in PQR Pvt. Ltd presently and I have taken a week's leave for taking care of my five year old son who is suffering from a heart problem. He will be having heart surgery tomorrow and as I am a single parent, I am the only one who can take his post operation care. I have attached the medical reports of my son and an approval letter of the operation dates from doctor with this letter.
I hope you will understand my position and excuse me from jury duty this time. You may contact me via phone - xxx-xxxxxxx or via email - email@example.com in case of any concerns. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Signature of XYZ
Name of XYZ
25th January 2011
We hope this article will help you in writing a good jury duty hardship letter to avoid jury duty for genuine reasons.