Persuasive Letter to Parents
Writing a persuasive letter to parents can be a daunting task if you are trying to do it for the first time. You have to convince your parents, who are experienced and elder than you, to listen to your argument. They should be persuaded to buy you something or agree with your views. However, do not think that it is impossible to write such a letter. Everybody can write such a letter. Just follow the tips and read the given sample. It will help you in writing a persuasive letter to your parents and next time you think you are right, just pen down what you feel.
Before you begin to write your letter, here are some useful tips to write:
- Make sure that you are aware of the various aspects of the topic that you want to write on. You might have to do some research work if required
- Brainstorm the various points on a piece of paper. These ideas may not strike at one go. But write them down as and when they occur to you
- Think what will appeal to your audience (in your case, your parents) the most
- On a piece of paper, make two columns: on one side write the pros and on the other, write the cons your argument
- Divide your letter into three parts: the first part should deal with the idea or the problem that you want to present; the second part will contain the details to support your argument; and the third part will prompt the reader to take the necessary action
- You must edit your letter before you send it to your parents The tone of the letter can be informal, as you are writing the letter to your parents.
Dear Mom and Dad,
As you know, I have always wanted to have a dog as a pet. I think that now I am old enough to have it. This is because, earlier I was not mature enough to take care of it. But now I have become more responsible.
I help you to do so many chores. So I think that I will be able to take care of my dog. After I come home from school, the dog would give me company. I don't like to go out as frequently as other teenagers of my age do.
I will train it to obey my command and make sure that it does not add to your work. Our back yard is big enough for me to play with the dog. I have already done a lot of research on the internet about things to do when you want to have dogs as pets.
I know that keeping a dog will require regular cleaning, we will have to take it to the vet for a regular check up, they have to be vaccinated, their coat has to be brushed, and if they make the house dirty, it has to be cleaned. But I am prepared to do all this. Last year, our neighbors had kept a pet dog. I never told you, but I used to go to their house and play with it. This also gave me a good idea of what all has to be done if I had to keep a dog as pet.
I assure you that if you allow me to keep a dog, it will not affect my studies in any way. Instead, I will get some exercise regularly, as I will have to take the dog out for a walk and play with it.
After two weeks is my birthday. I could not ask for a better gift! Please don't say no to me this time; trust me; I will not let you down. Your positive decision will fill my life with joy.